Birth Plan for Kia Lien Emma~Lee Wong
Written by Mom & Dad - March 24, 2004
We know that our baby Kia is very ill and not expected to live very long. We have made an informed
decision to carry this baby to term and keep our baby as long as possible. It is our priority and goal to have our baby born
alive. Please honour our request to preserve the dignity of our baby's special life.
1. We would like the labour
and delivery to be monitored intermittently to determine if baby is alive or dead, not for wellbeing.
2. We would like Lorie to
have no or very little drug intervention, as Lorie wants to be fully aware. An epidural is requested.
3. We request that our baby be immediately handed to Mom &
Dad depending on the circumstances.
4. We request that if Kia needs oxygen that that be the only extra
measure taken. Kia is NOT to be put on a respirator/ventilator.
5. Since we don’t know how long Kia will live, we want to
spend as much time as possible after the delivery with her.
6. We would like our other children to be present immediately
after the delivery of Kia to spend what time she has left with us.
7. Kia will only be offered compassionate care: feeding, bathing,
swaddling and holding by her parents and family.
8. We will have Kia baptized as soon as possible after her birth.
9. We would prefer to have a private room on the Woman's Health ward.
10. We would like to "room in" with Kia. If there are any procedures
that need to be done to her outside the room, Mom and Dad will go with the baby.
11. We would appreciate it if Gaymond could have the option of
spending the night with Lorie in her room (and Kia if she is still alive).
12. If Kia is able to be breastfed we would prefer that. If she cannot,
we wish to feed her with expressed breast milk. NO IV’s. If a feeding tube is needed we have agreed on a nasogastric
tube or an orogastric tube but she is NOT to have a gastrostomy tube or a jeujenostomy tube.
13. If Kia dies, we want some time however long we decide to be together
as a family alone.
14. We would like to bathe/dress Kia.
15. We would like to have Kia’s pictures taken asap.
16. We would like as many keepsakes as possible: Bassinet card, hospital
ID bracelet, hand prints/foot prints, lock of hair, photos. We would like to make a plaster cast of Kia’s hand and foot
prints also (which we have).
17. There will be NO autopsy performed on her body and she will not
go to the morgue. There can be non-invasive diagnostics done after she dies (eg. bloodwork, u/s, xrays, echo) but NO
18. When Kia dies we will contact the funeral home and they will come
to the ward to pick her up.
We appreciate your help and support during this difficult time.
Lorie and Gaymond